Camden's History

Camden TownshipsCamden County is home to a population of approximately 9,682 persons, according to the US Census Bureau (2008 Estimate), and is comprised of about 241 square miles. It is located in the North Carolina Coastal Plain between Currituck County and Pasquotank & Gates Counties. It is bordered by the State of Virginia to the north, and the Albemarle Sound to the south. Camden County is the site of the southern terminus of the Great Dismal Swamp Canal, which runs along US Highway 17 up through Virginia and eventually connects to an inlet running into the Atlantic Ocean.

Camden County was formed in 1777 from the northeastern part of Pasquotank County. It was named for Sir Charles Pratt, First Earl of Camden, who opposed the Stamp Act and supported the US Revolution and the Cause of Independence.

Camden County is the first and only consolidated city-county in the State of North Carolina, and it's county seat is the Courthouse Township of Camden. Camden County achieved this status in June of 2006, and became a Unified Government as of July 1, 2006.

Camden County is divided into three townships: South Mills Township, Courthouse Township of Camden (also known as Camden Township), and Shiloh Township.