Use this permit type for:

  • Decks of any/all sizes.

Click Here for Application Form (Instructions Below).

This form is not for new builds of stick built houses, modular or mobile home dwellings.  For building permits for dwellings, click the 'Building Permits' link on the menu to the right, and select the appropriate project type.  If your proposed deck is in conjunction with a new build, ask your general contractor to contact the Planning Department at (252) 338-1919 x 235 and request to add additional square footage to the house building permit to account for the addition of a deck.

Be sure you submit any required supplemental documents with your application.

Click Here for the 2018 Building Code for Decks.

NOTE:  This is for Decks built over land only.  For Waterway Structures, please use the instructions for Piers, Bulkheads, and Boatlifts. 

Supplemental Documents Required for Permit:

  • Site Plan Drawing (Not same as plat map) - Can be hand drawn, does not have to be perfect
    • Show location of principal residence or main building
    • Show location of proposed project
    • Show location of septic system and drain lines
    • Show road frontage (where the road is)
  • Building Plans (can be hand-drawn, do not have to be perfect)
  • Existing System Check for your Septic System Depending on Proposed Location of New Structure
    • Required in order to delineate out where your system is located to avoid possibility of building on top of any portion of it.
    • Contact info for Camden County Health Department:
      • Contact Person: Kevin Carver or David Sweeny
      • P. O. Box 72, 160 US Hwy 158 East #B, Camden, NC, 27921
      • Phone: (252) 338-4460, Fax: (252) 338-4475
  • CAMA Permit (Waterfront property only - if building within 70 feet of any waterway, river, creek, stream, estuary)
    • Contact info for Coastal Area Management Agency:
      • Field Representative:  Sarah Loeffler 
      • 401 S. Griffin Street, Elizabeth City, NC, 27909
      • Phone: (252) 264-3901, Fax: (252) 331-2951
  • Any other documentation as required by Camden County Building Inspector.

Form Instructions:

  • Type permit information into the text-box fields on the form, make selections from drop down boxes and/or any appropriate check-boxes.
  • Fill in what you know, anything you don't know - leave blank. 
  • Most permits require supplemental documents such as site plans, building plans, and so forth.
    • Supplemental documents required for this permit are listed above. 
  • Be sure to sign and date your application.
  • For Electronic Submissions:
    • If you want to email your application package, scan your application & supplemental documents to pdf files or take a jpg picture of each page using a camera or smartphone.
    • If you submit your application via email, be sure to attach your supplemental documents to your email.  Otherwise bring a printed copy of your application & all supplemental documents to the Planning Department at 117 NC Hwy 343 North.
    • Once you have filled out the form and created digital files of the supplemental documents, email them to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or bring them to the Planning Department for processing.
  • We will notify you via email or phone when your permit is ready for pickup.

Saving Your Work to Continue Later:

Saving data may or may not be supported via your browser's pdf reader add-on.  If you have Adobe Pro or Adobe Reader DC, you can save or download the form and fill it out locally on your computer.  Local copies may be saved.  Saved copies of the fillable form may be emailed, although it is recommended to print your application to a pdf using a print-to-pdf program.

Powered by Phoca Download

Planning Department

P.O. Box 74 117 NC Hwy 343 North Camden, NC 27921 (252) 338-1919 x 235 This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.